- systems librarian part l
- Technical professionals (systems librarians) bring to the table a vast array of skills and approaches related to new technology that will have direct impact to public libraries, as did the information and communication technology (ICT) department and the internet.
- Systems librarian, information technology and library automation systems articles by Joe Kirsch and Golly Odendaal.
www.systemslibrarian.co.za is Africa's leading website on Systems / Technical Librarianship & Integrated Library Systems (ILS) / Library Automation products, online resources & articles on the Web!
- circulation performance
- Public libraries circulation performance and patron statistics are still today the most accurate, verifiable and meaningful statistics and as such this data/information should play an important part in helping the library management to measure the success of a library.
- The Brocade automated library management system (SLIMS) is distributed in South Africa by SITA (State Information Technology Agency). Brocade is a 100% web based application. SLIMS has replaced most PALS (legacy library system) sites in South Africa.
- ils system architecture
- Information and communication technology (ICT) is not optimally developed in South African Public Libraries. Public libraries, are adopting modern information and communication technologies, including the use of the Internet. However, the use of ICT in automating library functions (integrated library systems) and the provision of digital information services is very limited in some public libraries in South Africa.
- open source ils
- Implementing integrated library system open source software such as Evergreen or Koha may cost less than traditional proprietary software. Is open source software a better option for libraries in South Africa today?
- wireless internet access
- Free wireless internet access at Public libraries in in South African. Most public libraries in South Africa currently have internet access for their users/patrons.
- first librarian
- The first recorded Librarian was Zenodotus of Ephesus, holding that post from the end of Ptolemy I's reign. In the past, the profession librarian (a title in its Latin root, librarius – related to books) was identified with the learned keeper of a collection of books.
- library media
- Library media and technology used in South African libraries.
- Playaway’s are talking books (audiobooks) that looks like an MP3 player.
- harpercollins vs libraries
- Even though ebooks have been around for more than a decade, it is very much in its infancy in South African libraries.
In South Africa, library ebook circulation is still low or non-existent.
- about me
- Joe Kirsch has been working in the Public Libraries sector for more than 17 years, and as a Systems/Technical librarian for over a decade.
- Most used library acronyms and abbreviations.